Wednesday 2 February 2011

Mommy the skies turned pink....

So there I was all cosy and warm in my bed, the radio alarm had just turned itself on to stir me out of my sleep at the start of a new day, I slowly opened my eyes... when suddenly... my little one bounces on top of the bed, throws the covers right off and at the top of his voice shouts "Mommy get up, get up... the skies turned pink, look, look..." by this stage I was staggering across the room feeling the chill of the air against my skin, screwing my eyes up as my son pulled back the curtains...Indeed the sky was pink, a little orange too. Just beautiful, the sun comes up behind the hills at this time of year and against the silhouette of the hill and the bare branches of my garden, it is indeed a sight for tired eyes. It did manage to put a smile on my face as the two of us stood at the window and with his camera and mine we both took pictures...
So the weekend was a busy one, my 'to do' list didn't get completed and has gone over to the next weekends list. However I did take a little time out for some silly sewing, I have been playing with felt a lot in resent days and I have been reading a few craft books on felt, I was inspired by a set of mice finger puppets and after a few tries of playing with the pattern, I made my little stuffy mouse. I forgot to sew in his tail, a mistake which pleased me as I added a little heart button to add to the cuteness of it.
Once I had made one I started a little production line and an hour or so later of self indulgent sewing time I had a little row of the critters. Which then resulted in me HAVING to go out to the fabric shop to buy more felt...I adore felt, its such a great medium to work in plus its so cheap, so when money is an issue and you have to have that 'fabric fix' felt is a good option.
Can you imagine my delight when the post man knocked on the door with a parcel...the book I had been waiting for what seems like ages had arrived, so I curled up on the sofa and had even more self indulgent time with a coffee, cake and devoured this fabulous book. I love the simplicity of the patterns, the fact the patterns are the correct size and don't need to be enlarged, the colours of the fabric... my oh my what a wonderful book. Alas though, I was a good girl and once the coffee and cake was in my tummy, I put the book down and finally got on with some jobs, I cleaned, washed clothes, dried clothes, ironed clothes, I tidied up, I cleaned out the animals, cleared the garden, sorted my accounts out and food shopped...
and then baked...
Yes my Saturday evening (along with a bottle of wine for company) was spent in my kitchen. I had to bake some fairy cakes for a friend, once that was done I pulled out a cookery book I had been wanting to use for a while. I was put off by the Americanism of it, I had never cooked using cup measurements. Anyway I had a bash... Banana, ginger and chocolate cake...
Delicious....

Had a little minor surgery on my hand yesterday, a little worried that I can not even hold a pencil today let alone sew...this is a little bit of a problem as I have college work to hand in tomorrow and I am working on an order for lavender hearts for valentines day...tea and paracetamol I think! Have a good day.

10 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Your sunrise is just gorgeous! And I love your cute little mouse -- especially with his button tail -- too sweet!

Debby said...

You are one busy girl. I love your sunrise.
The new book looks like a fun one.
Hope your hand heals soon.
Can't wait to see new creations from your new book.

The Coffee Lady said...

I couldn't bake and drink at the same time. How do you manage that?

Tracy said...

Nothing like a pink sky...*swoon*... my fave color, you know. ;o) And I LOVE your pink mouse--too cute, that is very sweet! The button on the tail really tugs at the heart strings... I think I need to add that book to my to-read list. Happy Days, Suzie ((HUGS))

French Knots said...

Hope your hand is healing and is at least mobile enough to hold a glass of wine!xx

marit said...

I think it's lovely that your boy noticed the sunshine, and even wanted you to see it! It is absolutely gorgeous!

Cute little mouse- it puts a smile on my face:-)

Hope your hand heals soon. Have a great weekend ahead.

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Beautiful sunrise -- Adorable Little Pink Mouse (looks like a perfect Valentine treat to me!) -- and what a fun book -- I would be in my favorite chair for at least an hour (neglecting my children) with a cup of hot tea pouring over the pages and soaking up inspiration!!

: )
Fondly,
MaryLea

Houseelf said...

Love the new blog. Thanks for visiting my old one. I've recently moved for similar reasons to you.

Ooo felt- love the stuff! You can sometimes use old wool coats/blankets too especially for bigger background pieces.

Kitty said...

Sorry to hear about your hand, Suzie - hope that gets better really quickly. Loving the photos, and especially that your son also wanted to photograph it. That's brilliant :D x

harmony and rosie said...

The sunrise was definitely worth getting up for, it's a lovely photo. I love your pink mouse too, mistakes often happen for a reason and the button is perfect, so cute. Hope your hand is much better now.