Wednesday 18 May 2011

What's up...

How can that be, a whole week has just passed me by whilst I have been busy doing so much stuff. Yes a contradiction, but that is how my life is at the moment. I remember when I wrote about rhythm, taking time to smell the coffee, camera always in hand and a crafty project by my side whilst baking a tray of cupcakes as my children played at my feet. How I miss those days, I have finally admitted I am indeed just 'flying by the seat of my pants' kinda girl at the moment. Each week I think I will be on top of it all and then something else needs attention.Over the holidays I so enjoyed my time with my children and I did indeed take time out to just be with them, for the first time in a couple of years I felt relaxed and slept well, I awoke in the mornings ready for the day instead of dragging myself out of bed for that much needed caffeine intake before I could truly open my eyes. I made time for my children, just for fun, play dates, some social time with friends and time for sitting in the sunshine watching my children play. Indeed, it was a good break. However its back to reality and orders are mounting up, the job search is demoralising, school issues, meetings and tomorrow is my final assessment at college. I need a bit of beach time to get all three of us back to that spacial place of finding our own flow and just going with it.

On the work tray at the moment (you know the one that you sit with in the evenings and do your hand sewing whilst watching some telly... or is that just me) is a huge pile of hearts all ready for stuffing with the gorgeous lavender. Also finishing off an order for corsages, I love these floppy roses and often make them to go with my fabric bags.
Following on from my last post I had bought some super big buttons and wanted to use them so instead of 'zipper wash bags' I have 'happy button wash bags'. . .
Using the machine embroidery to personalise them and matching them up with the fabric insert to finish the the whole bag up with style. Thanks to Poppy for this super easy bag design.
I have been on a little Dotty Red shopping trip, I was asked to make something in a particular fabric which then sent me on a shopping search...did I say fabric, yet here I am showing you a picture of yarn...it was on offer, half price so for ten pounds I bought myself a little sash and I know just the project for it...
I have not knitted for myself a long while so over the holiday I worked on a small project of Bunting, knitted bunting. Useless, time consuming and sometimes fiddly... but so nice to do...
Pretty pastel candy stripes, delicate shades which reminded me of vintage seaside holidays of my childhood with all the faded sunny shades eating ice cream on a beach. A memory which I hope to pass on to my own children with our own trips to the seaside.
On buying the yarn I was chatting to my friendly local kitting shop staff that even though I had not been to my knitting night at the shop in two years (no childcare) I was indeed still knitting, yet I was still a virgin when it came to cable work. It was obvious that this was a shock and surly someone that did so much crafting could have learnt this skill, because its so easy, if you know how.

No... still need to learn it, its so hard and complicated...

So I sat in the sunshine that very afternoon with cable needle and pattern in hand I mastered the skill... years I have wanted to be able to cable, and after just one afternoon in the garden... I can now cable, and I am SO PROUD OF MY NEW SKILL . . .

Have a great week, as for the weekend, I am going to make it one that is of a slow pace and I will take time to smell the coffee. Hope you do too.

8 comments:

periwinkle said...

love the yarn colours.. I have to admit that I was quite scared of cabling but then when I was shown how I was kind of like ' oh is that all' something so easy can make something so pretty.

Jackie said...

Your knitted bunting is wonderful ~ i love all the different colours and textures you have used. It will look lovely when it is all strung up :O)

sara said...

Sometimes it's hard to "do it all" and to fit everything in, it's lovely you had fun time with your children, my youngest is now 15 and I yearn for his baby days sometimes.

The knitted bunting is so pretty, I've been thinking of making some for a while, a good way to use up odds and ends. Well done on mastering cabling.

lily x

Twiggy said...

I hear you Suzie, life is all or nothing isn't it? I'm a busy bee at the mo. Your crafting is lovely.
Have a fab weekend.
twiggy x

Jules said...

Fab, fab bunting! Anyone who can free motion sew should be able to cable knit with your eyes closed! Well done you. Unfortunately, life is the rollercoaster you are on but you must be on the right path if you can still spot the good times. Carry on crafting xxx

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Last week was a rollercoaster around here. I couldn't seem to keep up for the life of me and certainly had no time for crafting. You always have so many projects in progress. Right now I am just hoping to get a baby afghan crocheted before the end of the school year in just a few short weeks. :/ Have a lovely day. Tammy

danemi1 said...

loving the bunting hun!

Anonymous said...

I love that bag :) The flower on it is awesome and it will perfectly fit to everything.

Greetings rent holiday apartment london